Sunday, December 20, 2009

Julie & Julia

I just finished watching Julie & Julia a short time ago.

I wish I could write an amazing review on this movie. However, I am tired and must go to bed as it is late and I need to get up in the morning. So, knowing that if I do not write the review now I probably never will, I must get it done, but quickly. And also, there really is not much that I have to say about this movie that has not been said (probably in better ways) in almost every other review on the internet. But I shall summarize my thoughts:

Meryl Streep does an excellent job. The endearing Julia Child of the world is captured perfectly in the endearing performance of Meryl Streep. Amy Adams, however, was not able to bring a striking performance out of a weak script that has little meaning or character development as Meryl Streep did.

When Julie's husband interacts with her there is some chemistry, but no development. After he complains (truthfully) that she is too self centered he leaves and does not come back until the next day; and when he does come back the only change that happens in character is he has decided (rather, the script has decided for him) that he will put up with her self centered nature, instead of fixing the problem (this is not presented in a "I will put up with you", but a "I'm sorry" type of way. He actually does not have as much to be sorry for as the movie, or [annoyingly] Julie, thinks he does).

The Julia scenes are directed is if you (the audience) are truly just an audience, and rely on the actors themselves to draw you in, which they do, very well, actually.

The Julie scenes are directed more intimately, because goodness knows Amy Adams does not have the feeling in her voice to draw you in herself. Though I feel this choice of separate directing styles may have been a reverence to Julia Child by holding her off a bit, and so a little more like an idol, or grand statue for people to look at, but not to meet. You can read about the statue of liberty, see her, and watch the effect she has on people, but you cannot converse with the lady herself.

The Julia scenes are very entertaining. So entertaining, in fact, that I enjoyed the movie even though these scenes are not as long as the Julie scenes. Those scenes being longer, boring, and without emotion. Amy Adams acts Julie's feelings out, but I do not believe.

Oh and one more thing: Director, you must not put actions in your movies that have no purpose. I realize it may be called a symbol, but usually symbols only make sense if the symbolism is consistent. However, I get the feeling it is less of a symbol, and more of just a cute ending-where-you-started gesture. In any case, butter melts, and that guest book will get extremely disgusting when it does.

1 comment: